Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A year of virtues

I have decided that is it time to make a change. A small but important one. Each year I always make new years resolutions, however they usually don't last long because I make too many and most of them aren't very possible. But now I have a new plan. I decided that for each month of 2009 I want to make a small change-- a different one every month. For example, one month be more honest, or forgiving, or humble, or patient etc. I think that if I only focus on one for each month, such focus will really allow me to make actual, positive changes. This much I had decided about a week ago. When I had my "crisis" and decided that I need religion, this idea only became better.

So I started looking up Buddhism online, because I think I agree with a lot of the ideas associated with Buddhism. And what I found out is that part of Buddhism are the Ten Perfections which are: generosity, morality, renunciation, wisdom, energy, patience, truthfulness, resolute determination, loving kindness and equanimity. I think if I add on two of my own ideas a year living this way could really shape me into a better person. So I'm off to do some more research and figure out exactly what these would mean for me. Then I think I will pick one randomly for each month and set out to make a positive, conscience change in myself.

Happy (almost) New Years! 

No comments: