Saturday, March 21, 2009

Adversity. Diversity, Immerse Me: My Three Trips to Mexico

{{This is what I wrote for my college application essay}}
How do you say ‘plunger’ in Spanish? Had I known, I wouldn’t have been forced to play Spanglish charades with a family I was building a house for in Tijuana. “Um.. es para.. plunge.. plunge.. en el bano..?” I motioned in an odd up and down manner. Eventually we came to the understanding that our group had clogged two toilets in the neighborhood, and no one had a plunger. After I apologized to the families in every way I knew, our site leader returned with a flimsy plunger from a store nearby. Without hesitation, I started plunging--and thinking. My Spanish skills were advanced but why was I plunging a toilet while everyone else was heading home for dinner? But no importa. I was splashing toilet water all over the bathroom and I needed to discover the word for soap inmediatamente.

I never thought it would be while I was plunging a clogged toilet in Tijuana that I would realize the value and importance of helping others. But I’ve come to understand that the lessons that hit you when you are least prepared are often the most memorable and rewarding. I was with a church youth group in Tijuana building four houses for Mexican families in need. On this occasion I was chosen to help translate the problem to the family and the solution to my group leaders. I put on my gloves, swiped the hair out of my face and smiled. This family needed my help and I was determined to treat their toilet (one of the only flushing ones in the neighborhood) as if it were my own.

On previous trips, I found satisfaction in seeing the look on the families’ faces when we handed them keys to their new homes. I felt strong when I helped build a wall or complete a difficult task, though what I enjoy most is speaking and playing with the children. They are the reason I have helped build nine houses for families. They are the reason that I wake up at 6:45 most mornings of my spring break. I work my heart out eight hours a day in exchange for their friendship and gratitude.

The children of Tijuana are my friends. Pedro told me he loved me, picked me all the flowers in the neighborhood, danced like Michael Jackson and asked me to marry him. Maria de Jesus hugged me, taught me words in Spanish and spun me around in circles. Her siblings made me feel welcome, gave me a tour of their home and introduced me to their mother. I’ve walked down dirt roads, hand in hand with Pedro, Maria and their friends, and marveled at their ability to just live. They know no life other than one where every dog is visibly starving and covered with giant ticks. A world where sewage runs through the dusty pothole-filled roads, and houses are made out of scrap plywood, tarps and cardboard. But even though their living situation is difficult, their ability to shoulder adversity makes me respect them immensely. I admire that they aren’t too proud to ask for help. They are my friends and I love them and am determined to do everything I can to help them.

I cannot think of a better way to spend a week. Serving in Mexico has changed every aspect of my life and I plan on serving in similar ways in the future. Because of these experiences I’ve learned to value my education, my family and my home. I’ve realized how important diversity is to me, and I want to be immersed in other cultures. These trips have also helped me to realize my love of speaking and learning Spanish, and every moment that I can learn new vocabulary or just have a conversation is special and important to me. Knowing Spanish means being able to communicate with people in many different countries with different lifestyles. Being able to communicate in three or four languages is paramount in helping us to build a global community of understanding. To some this may seem difficult, or even unrealistic, but after building houses without using electricity I see that in my life nada es imposible.

No comments: