Thursday, April 23, 2009

THE GREEN SMOOTHIE- Aka unsolicited health advice

The secret to not getting sick: the elixir of life:: the green smoothie. I promise it doesn't taste as bad as it may sound. I actually enjoy the taste.
THE STORY:
So I started making myself green smoothies at the beginning of this year after being told by both of my theater teachers how it has changed their lives and all the wonders it works. A few points:
  • If you do nothing else in the day that is good for your health, but you do a green smoothie, you will have better health.
  • Having these vegetables ground up for you makes them much easier to digest. Having them raw means you are getting ALL the nutrients, no question. Plus you don't have to think of new recipes all the time in order to get these vegetables.
  • Taking in these vegetables, vitamins and also protein in the morning will give you energy first thing in the morning that lasts throughout the day. (When I first started drinking them I felt too antsy in first period because I had so much energy. WAY better than caffeine in my opinion.)
  • Most people do not eat this amount of these types of vegetables on a daily basis. They are amazing for you. Your health will improve and your immune system probably will too aka you won't get sick as easily or often.
  • One of the things I love about this green smoothie thing is that its NOT a gimmick to lose weight or diet. It is simply doing a great thing for your health.
THE RECIPE:
-Water or juice of some kind (Or Amy and Brian's brand coconut juice with lime is supposed to be the best for this thing and it can be found in the yellow can at New Seasons)
-Some sort of protein powder (I use hemp protein because I prefer it to soy or whey)
- 6ish leaves kale without the stem (or more! go for more!) 
- 1/3 of a bunch parsley
- Whatever frozen fruit you have on hand (I use a mixed bag of frozen blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, mangoes, peaches etc. Anything works. This is about taste but blueberries are GREAT antioxidants)
-banana (optional- I prefer the texture of it without a banana)
Blend in a blender. You can add as much of anything you like, just make sure you have all of the greens! That is the important part. You can add ice and more or less fruit or more or less liquid depending on what consistency you enjoy most.

Drink one every morning for breakfast and not only will you have energy for the whole day, you will also get in ALL of the vegetables for that day. Both of my theater teachers swear by these to never get sick. Come over and I'll make you one.


No comments: